This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Model making and plan table for sale.

simon seasons
edited November 2007 in notices
I have made a beautiful big table and I want to sell it. I am asking $5,000 for it.
Its frame and legs are made from recycled light steel crossbrace webbed floor joists that were manufactured about the 1940's from riveted together thin flat strips and folded sheet angle with a depth of 160 mm. I have welded it together using various length configurations governed by the joists themselves and then painted it with a hard black enamel.
The top is of Pacific Blackwood from Fiji i think and is reclaimed mill offcuts all long enough for full length boards. There are no butt joins in the top. I worked them down to 35mm thick x 180mm wide boards in a table top that I milled, glued and planed by hand. I used a machine for the sanding. The tables finished dimension is 2390mm x1915mm. It comes in two pieces, frame and top, that can each be carried by two people. I am currently in the final phase of its fine sanding and insertion of the underside expansion inhibiting strips and the fixing cleats. I can therefore finish its final sealing and stain or polish to your specifications
Because of the depth of the frame joists, the top is at 895 mm high which means I built it to stand at and move around as a plan table and model making surface. Of course it could be sat at using high stools and if so would easily sit ten people. It is completely unique in the true sense of that word and as I am an artist who does joinery it is a piece of art if i say so myself. Its proportions are quite beautiful but it needs a largish office space around it.
If you're interested, please leave your email in my private mail and I will send you some photographs. I will deliver to Melbourne.
Regards.