This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

COMP: Shinkenchiku Residential Design

peter
edited June 2008 in notices
<p style="margin-top: 1em;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"><b>Shinkenchiku Residential Design Competition 2008</b></span></p>
<p style="margin-top: 1em;"><i>Four Square House Design Problem (homage to John Hejduk)</i></p>
<p style="margin-top: 1em;">John Hejduk introduced us to the Nine Square Grid design problem and we, his audience, enjoyed and learned from his variations on the theme. I would like to make this proposal honouring his memory.</p>
<p style="padding-bottom: 1em;">I will call it the Four Square House design problem. In a hypothetical Garden City grid of 36m by 36m, the assignment is to design four houses in any configuration, having as its only restriction that they should not exceed 162m<sup>2</sup> and that each possess a garage and garden, “technique and nature” combined in the given 9m<sup>2</sup> outlines. This requires a consideration of issues such as orientation, contiguity, privacy, construction, spatial structure: a series of issues that ultimately engage the neglected notion of typology . Obviously the extension of the single block to a larger area should be taken into account and in addition a certain hint about the materiality and the character of the ideal Garden City that comes as a result of the appearance of this new type.

(Rafael Moneo)</p>
<p style="padding-bottom: 1em;">Deadline: November 28th, 2008</p>
<p style="padding-bottom: 1em;"><a href="http://www.japan-architect.co.jp/english/5info/topics/skcompe2008/index.html">www.japan-architect.co.jp/english/5info/topics/skcompe2008/index.html</a></p>