This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Traditional Japanese structural joinery workshop

simon seasons
edited March 2009 in events
<p>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">
<meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11">
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" /><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:PunctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
</xml><![endif]--><style type="text/css">
<!--
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0cm;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;
mso-header-margin:36.0pt;
mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
--> </style> </meta>
</meta>
</meta>
</meta>
</p>
<p>Hi. This is an update refering to previous posts re the traditional Japanese structure I am turning into a structural joinery workshop for interested architects and architecture students.<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="">

<b>Well it's all going ahead. We make a start in mid August</b> as I have an architecture graduate from Oregon University in America coming over to help me, and to learn structural joinery, so that's when it is happening. I have room for two more in the self contained cottage and also two more in the caravan in a shed. (which is less salubrious.)<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="">We will be doing several major joins about a dozen of each, plus a hundred or more minor joins. All the joins will be cut and the timber numbered and stacked off the plans. When it's all done, which I expect will take about three weeks, we will be hiring a crane and assembling the whole thing in a day or two. The fininshed structure is to be 9m x 4.5m and is basically a Mesian pavillion in joined hard wood and corrugation with a unequal pitched Japanese roof.<o:p></o:p></p>

I have in principal permission for the building from the council (The planning man is an ex carpenter who loved it. How lucky is that!) but I have to attach it to the house. As a house extension it has to be attached with a covered walkway. This means a traditional Japanese city gateway over the driveway that joins the house verandah to the extension verandah. I have put dibbs on a huge pack of old red-gum milled timber for that job, from the cellar grog cages of a demolished 150 year old pub. It will also have a traditional 400mm high fence made from old railway garden track fence posts that apprentices welded up in the 40's with redgum rails added.

I will get the drawings in soon with all amendments but as you can imagine I have enough work ahead of me just with the little building.

So I am exploiting a loop hole that says I don't need permission to build a shed and that's what we are starting on. I am still putting in the house extension plans for permission but they will be to convert the existing 'shed' into an extra room and so the covered walkway in traditional Japanese joinery and the fitout of the 'shed' with bathroom and built in bed will be a next project which will happen probably next Sept 2010. <o:p></o:p></p>

I have my little 8m x 3.5m tin shed nearly ready for a slab to be poured and i'll be lining the walls and roof and putting in insulation and a slow combustion heater (and an arm chair or two and possibly a bar fridge) so that we can work in a bit of comfort. I was expecting to start in warmer weather but well be right comfy anyway. The major put together will happen under big tarps next to the site. You will learn planeing, chisel work, peg turning, measurement and marking out. I will concentrate on engineering principals of the joins, idicyncrasies of timber and how to overcome them and use them, carving techniques.<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="">I am welding up all the low work horses after Easter and I'm saving up to feed the crew great meals for lunch and dinner. if you can provide your own breakfast that'd be good. I am supplying the beds and bedding as well.

<b>If you're willing to join me now is the time to sign up.</b>   Really looking forward to your replies and if you come, please bring your own chisels and mallet, steel capboots and sun protection and some warm clothes.  All else will be provided for but if you want to bring any other tools feel welcome to. I have spare chisels and i am making a set of larger one for the deeper cuts, but if you can bring one or two then make them larger one such as anything above 25mm wide. There is no charge and no pay for this workshop. You will be guests, you'll learn heaps and have a lot of fun. Personal injury insurance is your responsibility. My own third party is included in my house insurance but there's a whole waffle I could go into about looking out for yourselves and how I work carefully and expect you to as well and etc etc. </p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="">Leave a message, reply or enquiry or whisper to me.<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="">Regards Simon.<o:p></o:p></p>
<p> </p>