This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

sound and architecture

Anonymous
edited April 2005 in architecture
hey guys, wondering if youve got any views on how sound can effect the form of architecture.
design of a resort adjacent to the phillip island racetrack.
the track is host to many different programs, from v8 supercars, moto gp and even aspiring (rookie) race drivers.
this leads to differing noise frequencies that reach various distances. im trying to use the noise produced by the vehicles as a "field" that shapes the planning of the resort and other the other programs involved with it.

i would like to investigate intersecting and in-between spaces caused by the juxtaposition of different sound sources.
(v8 vs bike ..... bike vs. beach etc. etc) : p

comments and pointers much appreciated.

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    bert,
    maybe look at ways architects have used music as a form of inspiration.
    Eric Mendelsohn always listened to music while designing.
    Steven Holl looked at the patterns and sounds of the music piece as a concept for Stretto House in USA.
    Bernard Tschumi based his Parc La Villette on a John Cage composition "Fontana Mix" and looked at the layers of the music. A more visual interpretation rather than an aural.
    There is a book called "Architecture as a Translation of Music" part of the 'Pamphlet architecture' series.
    I hope i have shed some light on your issue.
    Vee.
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    Thanks, Vee.

http://anydwg.com