This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

graduate commision

AP
AP
edited December 2005 in architecture
i am an graduate with 2 year post-graduation experience in Melbourne. I've just been offered a job to do an one room-extension for a friend. I intend to prepare the planning package for council, construction documents for costing and will not offer any site admin. Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice on possible approach(es) and potential risk issues. How do i obtain the building permit when am not registered? Can i employ a registered architect/building practisioner to certify my construction drawings/spec? Any advice will be much appreciated.

:idea:

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    Some quick tips - get estimate before planning not after documentation - from a builder or QS; owner can lodge docs as an owner builder (I think this has just gotten harder), or else builder can - give a building surveyor a call for the latest - or look at Building commission site. Regards risk, you can get PI and public liability insurance at Architeam I think as a graduate but I don't think its mandatory till you are registered - while its best to have insurance, if you're paying more for the insurance than the job is worth, might be better to get someone else to document. You are unlikely to find an architect prepared to lodge someone else's drawings - the risk isn't worth it - they would probably insist on redocumenting.

I would be interested to know how other graduates handle the documentation stage.