This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Architects and acoustic considerations.

kashmir
edited May 2006 in architecture
I have always wondered how much thought do boutique/commercial architects put into the acoustics of the spaces they create? As a music producer, I am acutely aware of my acoustic surroundings as they play a very important role in my line of work.

In many circumstances I have noticed architectural designs seem to pay very little consideration (if any) to the influence of acoustics on a person’s experience of an interior. Interiors are often barren of absorbent materials and contain vast areas of acoustically reflective surfaces.

We are a lot more like bats than you would think. Ever noticed when sitting in a modern movie theatre or a library how the walls seem to be closing in and you feel somewhat constricted? This is because practically all the HF reflections are being attenuated and your ear is unable to “translate” the dimensions of the room correctly. If you haven’t noticed this phenomenon I suggest next time you are in a cinema before the movie starts, close your eyes and let your ears feel the space.

Humans unconsciously use HF (high frequency) reflections to judge and orientate themselves within a space. The consequence of uncontrolled HF refection is an aural overload which can manifest in restlessness, irritability and being hyper sensitive to any sound. Tuning an environment to attenuate the just right about HF would arguably have a more profound influence on a person’s long term subconscious relationship with a room/volume than any aesthetic treatment. Please discuss.

Comments

• kashmir
    edited January 1970
    anyone? or is it all about aesthetic... :roll:
  • peter_j
    edited January 1970
    I think it's been true for a while that architecture is becoming primarily visually experienced. Architectural photography is the only connection most architects have to buildings outside their normal stomping ground. The other senses - (reminder: hearing, touch, taste, smell) get comparatively little attention or emphasis. I often go out to the new cafe on the block and find that while it looks sexy enough, it is often an uncomfortable space with regards to sound levels, temperature, and furniture design.

Having seen enough cafes-by-numbers going wrong, I'd like to speculate on what's always going wrong on the acoustic front.
    * Cold hard surfaces are chosen by designers seeking the zoosh factor on a budget. That this will result in a clattery space is not a worry - as a clattery space is often mistaken for a vibrant one. Anyways, it's far easier to clean out a place with no absorbent materials - just hose and mop!
    * Car hifi speakers are often hung on the wall at the last minute by someone's uncle who knows a thing or two. EQ? What's that? Hifi design needs to complement a space, not exacerbate its problems.
    * I suspect some of the more minimalist designers think that their spaces should not be too comfortable, in the same way that the haute end of fashion is deliberately hard to wear and avoids being 'sensible'. Refer the Marquis de Sade.

I often work with skilled hospitality architects and audio engineers and have been impressed by the acoustic environments they can create together. It really shouldn't be too hard for designers to get it right - a good acoustic design is about finding the right balance between hard and soft linings, as is a good tactile design.

There may be a bit of a gap in the consultancy market for a consultant who can give an indication of the acoustic solutions required for a space without providing a full services acoustic design - which are prohibitively expensive and rarely used in hospitality fitouts.
  • captinsane
    edited January 1970
    in 2nd year we studied acoustic design, inc: reverberation times for function specific acoustic performance, materials and spatial design, ergonomics and acoustic insulation. As a student who as yet has not had any practical experience (i am a bit of a late bloomer in the work experience situation, havn't bothered looking yet) and cannot bring any contribution from a practice centred perspective; i can say that we (students) at least understand the basic principles behind some element of acoustics, enough so that we can search for more detailed information if it is required, or liase with industry proffesionals whose expertise may be required for a specific project.

we are more recently trying to bring a more 'multi-sensory' perspective to our third year design studio regarding urban intervention in the Brisbane CBD. As part of research i began looking at the experiental values which are noticable to VIP and disabled persons. Unfortunately there was not enough time to take it anywhere significant (to myself as a student if not for anyone else) due to assessment priorities.

Cheers
  • GUZ BOX
    edited January 1970
    Someone mentioned the 'A' word...?
    Acoustics in architecture is an area I am very passionate about - and unfortunately, an area which really doesn't get much attention.

As you most likely know, there are several key areas relating to acoustics and architecture.
    Firstly you have environmental acoustics - looking at noise from road, rail, aircraft, other environmental factors.
    Then there is building acoustics - sound isolation between different building element, A/C and plant equipment noise.
    Architectural acoustics - looking at how noise within a space behaves, particularly in regards to people.
    Electro-acoustics - being sound system design.

There are standards and guidelines which govern all aspects of acoustics.
    The first two of these are usually given a great deal of attention, mainly due to the requirements of local councils and planning authorities and of course, the BCA.
    Consideration of architectural acoustics in design is typically low on any designers list. And lets face it, sound system design is an after thought!

A lot can be said for well designed spaces and to experience these spaces can be an inspiration. Unfortunately, the number of times people have complained about noisy spaces, particularly restaurants, really detracts from the overall impression of an otherwise fantastic experience.

I have seen and worked with many acoustically challenged spaces, from churches to night-clubs, commercial, government and corporate. Acoustics doesn't have to be expensive or ugly (obviously there usually is some additional cost). There are many products available which can be integrated into venues during design + construction which will acoustically enhance the space. Visual and acoustic appeal can work together.

I'd be interested to hear further comments on this topic and hopefully join in where possible.
    Regards
    Tim