This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Fearful

peter_j
edited May 2006 in architecture
Anyone in Melbourne noticed how stainless steel bollards are sprouting all around the government buildings. There seems to be little thought given to the placement, meaning that they don't relate very well to the buildings they are protecting.

I was thinking the other day how austere these new bollards look, so that they almost didn't deserve the word. They look more like pistons, like they should be greased up so they can slide in and out of the ground. Nett result is that these silver bollards aren't unobtrusive, they are very noticeable. And because they are so poorly integrated with their surrounds, they are noticeably awkward newcomers. Usually barricading is temporary, but we know that this new expensive looking Hummer-proof fencing is there for the long haul. Permanently awkward. We will forever be reminded that we are a less trustworthy public now, that there was a time when public buildings didn't need to be surrounded by steel teeth.

I did some research in 2004 on the development of this Architecture of (or for) Terror in the US. The government agency responsible, FEMA, had produced guidelines for the design of buildings that our Federal government is now following. One interesting acknowledgement in the hundreds of pages of design advice for the "hardening" of buildings: government buildings are under much less threat of a terrorist act because they are so well protected. More likely targets are privately-owned buildings with easy public access and multiple tenants (e.g. the World Trade Centre and Bali). Other potential targets like substations and utility infrastructure aren't given the same treatment. All which leads me to suspect that public servants' like building walls around themselves because they like the idea that they need to be protected.

PS
Metropolis Magazine reports that architects are getting in on the act, and has a picture of the Wall Street No Go barriers, designed by Rogers Marvel Architects.
http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=1920

Comments

• mark_melb
    edited January 1970
    Peter, pleeeeeeeeeeeease. You are just proving that the 'terrorists' have won. Let's stop the paranoia.
    Have you not thought that these bollards are just a deterent to stop the delivery vehicles parking wherever they like?
    There is more damage to our buildings done by installing those silly tactile ground surface indicators. And they are far more dangerous than 'terrorists'.
  • peter_j
    edited January 1970
    Mark I don't think you've seen the bollards that I have. Melbourne's parliament precinct is currently being ringed with in-your-face stainless steel cylinders, and big concrete sleepers have just been dropped into garden beds along the road adjacent to Treasury Gardens. This has nothing to do with delivery vehicles - unless the delivery vehicle happens to be going at a high speed. I will post a photo or two if I get the chance.

I don't agree that discussing the government's architectural over reaction to terror is "proving that the 'terrorists' have won".

If you still think I'm paranoid please take a look at the website of the company that built the bollards. Note the clients, and note the strength of these bollards.

http://www.oztime.com.au/
    Page 4 of the photo gallery has some Melbourne pictures.
  • mark_melb
    edited January 1970
    Crikey Peter, I didn't realise we were under that much threat. We have to defend the Green and Gold at all cost.