This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Starting Something...just how crazy am i?

dav_
edited June 2006 in Q and A
Hi, i'm a graduate in Perth with 18months experience in a tiny firm where i do a huge amount of the work, prob about 50-60% of the work, if not more. We mainly do small residential work, single houses, renovations. I'm now also starting to get a lot of on the side, from drafting to design to consultation-kinda stuff.

I have a bit of a vision for what i want to do with my work and it's a bit outside what i can get from my firm. I'm well aware of a lot of the issues, but I'm seriously looking to branch out and do my own thing, maybe hook up with peers from uni and work on some of the projects i've been offered. I wouldn't consider it for another 9months or so, and i'd like to register first, but i'm wondering if anyone can tell me if i'm completely nuts to even consider this. I just don't want to work for someone else's vision or wait til i'm 35 to start my dream up, or get trapped in some soul-sucking corporate career in the meantime.

Any advice, any support? anything?

Thanks,
dav_

Comments

• franklyarchitectural
    edited January 1970
    Dav,
    your desire to get out of that office is a natural and correct ambition. Think yourself lucky to have the opportunity: you're young, you're not far off being registered. The other way to advance your career is to change jobs, somewhere you can rise up ranks, but do you want that? It's natural for creative professionals to want independence, I think. I have less experience than you, and in a way I envy your experience - it sounds well-rounded at least! Good luck.
  • dav_
    edited January 1970
    (thanks frankly) Um...hello? is there anyone out there? i was hoping that this would be a reasonably good space for open and interesting discussion, but apparently not. 105 views and 1 reply. hooray for dialogue!
  • Dan
    Dan
    edited January 1970
    Dav, I'm in a similar position as you and am thinking the same things...

I graduated in 2004 and have been working in a large corporate office for over a year (I put my soul in a box under the bed so it can't be sucked away), previously I worked in a small, residential studio of only three people (in a similar situation to the office you work in now by the sounds of it).

My advice is go for it. While you're at this stage, the timing couldn't be better. If you fail, it's no big deal- better than doing it 10 years down the track when you may have more commitments and more to risk. You'll learn heaps- including whether running your own show is truly for you- you never know- it might suck. It'll go up and down for a few years but it's easier now than later.

I'd suggest doing a course at TAFE in running a small business while you're starting out too- that may help with keeping things ship shape...
  • FBE Rocks
    edited January 1970
    do it mate! If you've been offered jobs that pay then theres no reason. As long as you can support yourself theres no reason not to.

Im aready thinking about it even though im only in 5 th year with about a years experience in china.

I hope i can find similarly ambitiious individuals such as yourself to partner up with when i start my practice in china.
  • Phil
    edited January 1970
    Hey Dav

I was trolling through the history of topic and found this - Maybe we should talk more - I hopefully have work in WA soon
  • GrimR
    edited January 1970
    As mentioned, do it whilst you're young and still "not-too-disillusioned" with architecture practice. This has to be balanced by a good support network when you need financial and legal advice, construction detailing assistance and of course, roof over your head with parents or friends when the going gets tough.
    I speak from experience when I say one's enthusiasm gets drained out working in corporate practices - no matter how glamourous or prestigious they are.
    I still do my own things on the side, but commitments grows as one gets older, and it gets harder (enertia gets greater too).
    so yeah.. sieze the day!