This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Hand rendering presentation images

ron mcbeth
edited September 2006 in architecture
I have come across a number of architects seeking skills in old style hand rendering(usually rom CAD image) particularly those working in ME and Asia.
Am interested in other architec's experience and comments why this is.

Comments

• FBE Rocks
    edited September 2006
    Really? i have not seen this myself. i cant remember the last time i saw a hand rendering in any publications.

conceptual (probaly post rationalization) skteches yes, but hand rendering no.
  • ron mcbeth
    edited January 1970
    I'm fast track tutoring an architect right now in hand rendering/freehand drawing about to take up a post in Singapore.
    Apparently the US based firm he is working for likes formal sketches (freehand drawn and rendered) as part of submissions from promo stage through to final client submisions.
    They are packagedwith the usual CAD stuff and not sen as seperate.

cheers
  • ron mcbeth
    edited January 1970
    I forgot to mention that I'm also tutoring a young Italian boat designer in freehand etc as apparently he sees an advantage - CAD too slow for concepts and not the right "feel" for clients.

A small market demand I'll admit, but it's there.
  • FBE Rocks
    edited January 1970
    I didnt say it was desirable:D how much do you charge? id love to be able to draw better
  • ron mcbeth
    edited January 1970
    FBE Rocks wrote:
    I didnt say it was desirable:D how much do you charge? id love to be able to draw better

FBE - click my posters www button for costs & course outline.
  • Neville K
    edited January 1970
    Ron
    What a shame you are not in Melbourne. I like your louche, laid back hippy approach that has a certain rigour and quiet intelligence that I find commanding.
    Bugger!
    An archi student who cannot draw, loathes the impersonal computer render and is rudderless.
    Neville K
  • ron mcbeth
    edited January 1970
    Neville....perhaps a little too laid back as I don't beat my drum enough I guess.
    Been thinking about going to capitals if I can get the numbers just to break even, profit secondary
    I have over 40yrs of drafting "old school" learning which I want to pass on to younger generation before it disappears - that's my main aim.
    I'm finding it hard to get University Architecture Schools to even consider the situation...got their own agendas.
    I love the hands on aproach, enough theoretical pontificating around to drive everybody nuts.
    Got increasing interest on individual basis so your support is heartneing.

Hang in there as talking to NSW RAIA about getting other Chapters to hold special classes....will let people know via this blog.

cheers...Ron
  • anna
    edited January 1970
    I'm a student at Oceania Polytechnic in Melbourne. The course here has a heavy emphasis on those old-school skills. It's pretty kooky, but I like knowing that my ability to practice isn't tied to a computer.
  • dandharma
    edited January 1970
    ron mcbeth wrote:
    Been thinking about going to capitals if I can get the numbers just to break even, profit secondary

put me down as another interested party in old Melbourne town Ron...

would love to learn how to sketch with flair.
  • ron mcbeth
    edited January 1970
    Anna, dandharma and others....I have put a proposal to the Vic. RAIA to hold weekend workshops in Melbourne so any support ai can get by say emailing the would be great.

VIC RAIA Education email link continuum@raia.com.au

Cheers...........
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    I'm in the states and the university I just
    graduated from, frowned upon cad drawings, everything had to be hand
    drawn. Personally I like the look of hand rendered projects,
    unfortunately there aren't too many firms that like that. We had half
    a semester (about 6weeks) worth of CAD instruction. So I am now up a
    creek for finding a job without CAD skills. I'm trying to start a
    business just doing Hand rendered pieces, not sure how it will pan out
    though.
  • andymac
    edited January 1970
    I'm working in the Netherlands where I'm beginning to see hand drawings creeping back into offices. Klunder architecten in Rotterdam seem to favour hand crafted presentation over digital. They do a good job of it too. Check out their site. I guess there's no longer anything special about having the ability to produce realistic or high impact visuals by computer - even though clients might still think differently. Most or us who graduated from the mid 1990s onwards can model and render to varying degrees. CAD drawings and presentations have become even more laborious and tedious than hand drafting, leaving little time to design and turning half the profession into CAD geeks. We waste time talking about software updates, plug ins, etc, when we could be sharing ideas about buildings, cities and the universe. It's not a question of one or the or the howeverr; ideally one makes the most of all available tools and talent - but good on anybody who can produce a decent hand sketch. I can't.
  • ron mcbeth
    edited January 1970
    andymc & Anonymous etc....the hand drawn rendering may not be dead yet.

You could have floored me a few days ago as I had a young architect call and ask if I could teach him watercolour rendering!

There might be a small group of "fringe dweller" architect/renderes out there that might come up with some form of hybrid technique that is more like "art rendering"...maybe I should do it myself but simply don't have time with my life absorbing stone sculpture obsession.
    I need a parralel life, maybe in My-Space?

I've also realised that 2/3 of the architects (students) attending my freehand classes are female......hmmmmm.....more intuitive??
  • ron mcbeth
    edited January 1970
    @all...

Came across this interesting quote by architectural render Scott Baumberger of Baumbergerstudio which may interest those posting....

"It's a bit of a pendulum swing. For a long time, everyone was very interested in hyper-realistic photo-quality renderings. Recently there's been a backlash against renderings that look too "computer-y", and I've had a lot of requests for softer images that have a watercolor style. So right now it's about a 50-50 balance between photo-realism and traditionally styled renderings. I think clients are becoming more sophisticated about the technology abilities and limitations, and base their style decisions on the intended audience for each image.

At the end of day, what I provide is a rendering. As accurate as the photo-realism tools have become, I still render the building based on the character and mood of the subject."

interview http://www.cgarchitect.com/upclose/article1_SB.asp