This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Career change - Law to Architecture

blabbyboy
edited November 2006 in Q and A
[Note this post has been split from the Architects vs. Drafties thread - Ed.]

First post for me on butterpaper. Since we're on the topical discussion of architectural qualifications, let me pose this scenario to forumers - I am keen to get your thoughts:

1. I am a 30 year old, qualified lawyer who has a passion for architecture and design. I lap it up and read heavily in the area. I have good written and oral communication skills but have NO design training AT ALL and I know nothing about commercial architectural practice.

2. I am seriously thinking of making a career shift into architecture. There is obviously a long lead time, and it will be difficult letting go of a good salary to start from scratch in a new profession.

3. My question is this: is it something that architects wouldn't recommend for various reasons, and if so, what reasons (eg poor starting salary, poor connection between uni study and commercial practice, etc)? Am I just like an art lover in an art gallery who thinks that he, too, can become an artist, because he loves the art and has read up on it?

Comments

• kashmir
    edited January 1970
    considering you are already a qualified lawyer you obviously have the smarts to book down and complete an arch. degree. Anyone can become an architect if they have the interest, perseverance and determination. If you love it the time invested in the course not an issue...

The question is more financial . Can you financially sustain yourself (and family??) through the 7 years before you can even apply for title? and know even registered (PAYG) architects p/a pay packet will top out at 60k-70k tops.

also read here: http://www.archsoc.com/kcas/matureage.html funny how he mentions a 30 year old lawyer!! :lol:
  • audrieau
    edited January 1970
    Our law lecturer was both and Architect and a Lawyer. Maybe you could teach the contract law units in the arhcitectural school.

We had a guy similar to yourself in the course who lasted three years studying before he decided he didn't want to give up the great money he was getting as a lawyer. However he was great at the work and make class discussions much more interesting.

If I was you I would be thinking about being a Construction lawyer instead. Not sure what training there is out there for that, but maybe undertake a building degree parttime around your work, and look for clients in that field. Do some architectural units for interest and to increase your knowledge base.

There is a real shortage of construction lawyers, and those that are good at it are worth a lot.