This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

working in london....to do or not to do???

lozmioz
edited January 2007 in Q and A
hi
im going into my last semester of arch in melb and am interested in people's experiences of working in london as architects with minimal experience....???
types of work...?
types of experiences....?
pay....?
benefits to your career or otherwise upon returning/or staying...?
thanks!

Comments

• jaleo
    edited January 1970
    I've just noticed your post and recognise the hesitation in the tone.....it is obviously a more adventurous thought than staying put and seems like a big move. In my experience of working in Dublin ( a little different but some of the same dilemmas) there were very few negatives to the experience. I wasn't expecting to take the city by storm and enjoyed simply the varied work culture, tectonic differences etc. But, generally practice here was very similar to Aust. London might be a different story because Dublin has a very young demographic and was full of young, keen, designers....The main point I would make is that upon return my overseas work was viewed very favourably by prospective employers, who appreciated the initiative and spirit of the experience, along with the broadened perspective gained from working with the much more intense Europeans.....in some ways its not for the faint hearted....
    Good Luck
  • FELICITY
    edited January 1970
    Hi

All I can say is you HAVE to go - it will most definitely be a rewarding experience no matter how the job situation works out...

I spent a year working in London as a part 1 architecutural assistant in 2005 (so less qualified than you will be) and it was a really good experience. The pay is heaps better than in Melbourne and Europe is on your doorstep so there are plenty of ways to spend that extra cash. I would say you could expect to get between 20,000 - 30, 000 pounds a year which works out to about $70,000 austalian.

The brits love aussie workers because we seem to be more efficient and get the job done more quickly!!!

Also having had that experience I found it a lot easier to get a job when I did start working here.

There are so many different types of work because london is such a big place and I'm sure you'll be able to find something you will enjoy doing.

Good luck with your decision :D

ps remember to take a portfolio with you because you will get no where without one...