This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

RAIA - what is it good for ?

yobitch
edited February 2007 in architecture
It's early in a promising new year, it is summer and I am loving the world but in the mail I am being nagged to renew my RAIA membership.
Can anyone supply me reasons to hand over $600 ? Yes they do sorts of political lobbying to protect our turf - although why they don't tell us is curious.It seems to be a very expensive way to get free magazines.As a serial whinger about horrific conditions and toxic employers,I feel inculcated in perpetuating the very thing I hate - a vicious setup to make the few players wealthy at the expensse of myself and other emplyees like myself,I need some wise guidance please......................

Comments

• GrimR
    edited January 1970
    I must say I am in a similar position. Having been a member for quite a few years, I've come to the point where I've got to analyse the large outgoing and ask why.
    It does make sense if you're running a practice - with less expensive access to resources and materials, access to networking and involvement with committees and events.
    I used to uphhold the utopian ideals of membership as "contributing to the greater good of architecture" but alas, those days are gone.
    Compared to other professional memberships i.e. accountants and lawyers, and even the Building Designers Association Victoria, the practical benefits of RAIA membership per dollar is quite poor. For example, as far as I know, most professional development programs, events and talks offered by BDAV are free to members. Whether this is due to sponsorship issues, or the fact that BDAV is non-profit, I do not know.
    I'd like to hear your views though.
    Thanks for reading.