This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Rogers

The occasionally outspoken knight and architect, Richard Rogers, has won the Pritzker Prize. During an interview with the Chicago Tribune he talks is led briefly into discussion of the relationship between architects and politics:

Tribune: You're outspoken, having publicly attacked how building contracts are being awarded for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. You also drew criticism in New York for your ties to Architects and Planners for Justice in Palestine, which advocated a boycott of Israel, though you later disassociated yourself from the group. Do you wish more architects would speak out?

Rogers: I think architects are citizens. I believe citizens have a role. The great thing about democracy is being able to speak out. People have died for that cause. Architecture is very political. I don't think everybody has to be political. People teach. People draw, but certainly I've taken a cause, a line, which does involve lots of political work.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE 28.03.07

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    "I think architects are citizens. I believe citizens have a role", beautifully said.