This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Whcih 3D program to use??

91ADF
edited July 2009 in Q and A
<p>I am wanting to learn a 3D program, so that I might be able to present 3D renderings to clients in computer rendered form without having to pay the exorbitant rates charged by 3D perspective companies. </p>
<p>I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about which program is best(and easiest to learn and use )? </p>
<p>I need a program that I can learn via an online course (through a tech or online uni etc) or one that is easy enough to teach myself from a book.Are these courses available online, as I have searched for them online, but it seems there arent many options?</p>
<p>I wondered if 3D max was the best program? </p>
<p>Does anyone have such a  program and want to sell it? Thanks</p>

Comments

• w_y_e
    edited November -1
    <p>Rendering is a slippery slope... Google's Sketch-up is certainly a cheap option and pretty simple to get to grips with. It seems though that anything done in that programme will always look very sketch-up. Take that how you will.</p>
    <p>I normally find myself modeling in Rhino 3D (very easy to navigate 3D models), then rendering in Max. It's involved, but you get a vast amount of control over every single little thing. And there's the rub. How much time do you want to spend rendering and learning about the physical qualities of light? If you are on client's time, then render straight out of Rhino or Sketch-up or even AutoCAD. If you're larking around on your own time, then stay up late and get into Max, Maya and all the other very serious rendering programmes. Very late.</p>
    <p> </p>
  • peter
    edited November -1
    <p>Used to know Rhino but forgot somewhere along the way. Found it quite intuitive once I got to know it. Flamingo(?) makes it render nice.</p>
    <p>Tried to know 3D max but it spat me out.</p>
    <p>Hard not to know and like sketch up as it's about as easy as using any other google appliance. Clients like it, and you can use the file as a working model, rather than one off presentation. It will look a bit toy town without any addons, so you may need to go elsewhere for super realism and tricky nurbs. The edge lines are easy enough to turn off if you don't like them.</p>
    <p>Revit?</p>
    <p>Vectorworks & Archicad for rendering??</p>
  • mjsmi
    edited November -1
    <p>Rhino is totally the way to go. I use it all the time with my 3d rendering business. <a href="http://www.concept3d.com.au">www.concept3d.com.au</a></p>
    <p>Another alternative to expensive 3d Companies is to use a small business such as mine which has little in the way of overheads to cover. Ask me for a quote, mention butterpaper and I will give a discount :)</p>
    <p>cheers</p>
    <p>Michael</p>
  • peter
    edited November -1
    <p>Advertorial is not encouraged round these parts. There is a sub froum where it can go - called "LINKS", or email me the link to put in the queue for  the main links library.</p>
  • mjsmi
    edited November -1
    <p>Fair comment Peter</p>
    <p>

I only mentioned it as it is very relevent to the question possed. Different programs can create different results. I have found Rhino very easy to learn and use but it is the final results which are important. To illustrate the results one can achieve with rhino I attached the link.</p>
    <p>By the way, the question of which program to use is commercial in any case. If one suggested to use archicad, maybe they are employed by bentley?</p>
    <p>At least I made my commercial interests clear.</p>
    <p>I will refrain from furthur links as requested</p>
    <p>Michael</p>
  • peter
    edited November -1
    <p>Thanks Michael.</p>
  • 91ADF
    edited November -1
    <p>thankyou all, its been very helpful. I don't m ind about the link - I can see the quality of a render from that, so its great. Thanks again. </p>