This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

footpaths & jackhammers

peter_j
edited February 2005 in architecture
Rant begins:

Having just moved into the city, I look and listen in exasperation as another footpath across the street gets dug up noisily so that a new cable can be put in. City dwellers must go nuts. It seems pretty obvious that when you have a city office building with ever-changing technological requirements, the footpath next to it should be able to cater to this. Instead footpath technology remains in the 3rd century B.C.

Perhaps councils could have a quick think about what footpaths are now - as well as being conduits for people they are conduits for services. They are ducts basically, and would be better off hollowed out underneath, with precast covers that form the footpath. The covers get lifted off when access is required. Simple and quiet. It can still have a bluestone finsh too.

They're doing it in Hong Kong:
"For footway applications, the principal limitation on precast concrete unit paving is its higher initial cost when compared to that of conventional concrete or bituminous pavement construction. However, as the units if handled carefully can be repeatedly lifted and re-laid in pavement reinstatement works e.g. trench reinstatement, the high initial cost will be considerably offset by savings in future maintenance/reinstatement costs. "
www.hyd.gov.hk/eng/public/publications/road_notes/doc/9/rn9b.doc

Rant ends

Comments

• peter_j
    edited January 1970
    Possibly a step in the right direction is this website set up by SIAL (at RMIT) and the City of Melbourne. It is a web survey of responses to city sounds. Haven't used it as it's a program and a bit too big to download. They probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that I don't think jack hammers sound very good.

I can hear another one in the distance...

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=46&pg=1686
  • PRM Phil
    edited January 1970
    As Builders, it's not just a council problem but often one of the various supply authorities.
    Try getting them to talk to each other, us or the council(s). A while ago we and various authorities dug up a bluestone laneway in South Melbourne and then relaid the laneway 3 times over a short period of time, Although we tried to liaise between each authority, gave plenty of notice etc etc, none would fit in with the schedule and lay conduits / services whilst we had the lane open. Each came along later and did their own thing, causing inconvenieince to the other "lane dwellers" each time.

I like your idea, when I become dictator of Australia ;-) this sort of rubbish will cease!