This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Australian Schools of Architecture

Anonymous
edited April 2005 in Q and A
Does anyone have any opinions on the Australian schools, particularly in NSW and WA? Strength's and weaknesses of the programs, upsides and downsides of their locations, etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    I can say a bit about the schools in WA - I've come from 4 years at UWA, but am now finishing off at RMIT.

There are two to choose from in Perth - Curtin University and the University of Western Australia. The programs and focus of each is quite different. Here are a few points on both. I'll try to remain impartial, just bear in mind that I only have first hand knowledge of UWA.

UWA
    More theoretical in its focus, with conceptual design privledged over specific technological concerns
    There are still many 'old school' lecturers, with a strong AA background milling around, spreading their ideas and experience...up until the last three or four years, drawing in pencil and ink was pretty much the only way to go.
    History and Theory is another major focus - with lecturers like Professor Geoffrey London (Government Architect, Perth), Charlie Mann and Nigel Westbrook giving students a sound interest in and understanding of stuff thats happened.
    Just recently (this year) was a change of post for Dean - Clarissa Ball (fine arts background) has stepped up, replacing Patrick Beale (AA). Not sure if there are teething problems (I'm now out of the system), but something to be aware of.
    Reasonably sStrong studio culture - studio space is provided for student use - if you are interested, you can bags a desk and a corner to work at with 24 hour access.
    Theres a good overseas studio program in place. I went to Barcelona in 2003 for a 12 week intensive studio, with 20 other students across years. Another group just returned from milan from something similar.

CURTIN
    Greater emphasis on buildability and the technological side of things, than idea and conceptual process.
    Lack of a strong Theoretical basis in learning structure
    Probably better links to the profession in Perth - UWA graduates it seems tend to shift to either Melb or London, while Curtin graduates find it easier to be employed and satisfied in Perth.

BESIDES
    It could have just been me, but I left Perth all together becuase I felt that the profession and the student life in Perth is suffering from a bit a slump at the moment. Students don't seem to care about the quality of work as much as they should, and architects aren't pushing the boundaries of what architecture is or what it can be like they should. The general public in Perth doesnt help - (afraid of change), but thats a lame excuse.
    Something to keep in mind. Maybe its an australia wide problem.
  • Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    nerol,
    thanks for the reply, I am looking for a more design oriented school, it sounds like UWA is the place, is it a fairly respected degree within the architectural community?

conversely, how is RMIT?