This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Are Australian architects equipped for reconstruction?

<p><b><span style="font-size: large">Are Australian architects equipped for reconstruction?</span></b></p>
<p><span style="font-size: small">Beatriz C. Maturana, April 2005 (part of a work in progress article...)</span></p>
<p><span style="font-size: small">Except for the areas destined to tourism, little of all the areas devastated by the tsunami were actually built by architects - at least not “architects” in the Australian sense of the word. Whether international (Australian) architects can offer a positive contribution to the reconstruction of the affected areas will depend on their knowledge and understanding of the local needs - in the context of socially and economically disadvantaged communities. It will also depend on their capacity for respect and understanding of cultural differences. Have we, as students (current or former), understood and worked in social architecture, or learnt about urban development issues as is the tradition in European and American (non-Anglo) schools of architecture? Is the understanding of social development and public need encouraged as much as the concern for aesthetics and form? Below are excerpts from an article written by Melbourne’s architect Norman Day. He presents a very different view about our capacity, as Australian architects, for undertaking the task of reconstruction. </span></p>
<p><span style="font-size: small">What do you think?</span></p>
<p><b><span style="font-size: large">Faith, fear and prudence</span></b></p>
<p><span style="font-size: small">March 30, 2005</span></p>
<p style="margin-left: 40px"><span style="font-size: small"><b>There are lessons for architects in the aftermath of the tsunami, writes Norman Day.</b></span></p>
<p style="margin-left: 40px"><span style="font-size: small">Millions of dollars have poured into the tsunami-devastated parts of Asia for reconstruction. This reconstruction has the capacity to not only remedy a ruined economy, but improve an environment. Before anything else, warning devices must be built and devices for escape put into place. Further, the spiritual life of the region must also be considered during rebuilding. Many of the dead remain lost, the sea their tomb, decided by nature and fate. Much early knee-jerk reaction has reflected on the stories of heroism and luck, of desperation and powerlessness, when the waves hit. Some trees stood tall, others fell, some timber buildings stayed, other concrete structures were quickly washed away. Some things appeared irrational: the absurdity of floating to safety on an old car door, while others lost their footing on a bitumen road before being sucked into the whirlpool. (...) find this article: The Age - </span><a href="http://theage.com.au/articles/2005/03/29/1111862386273.html"><span style="font-size: small">http://theage.com.au/articles/2005/03/29/1111862386273.html</span></a></p>
<p> </p>

Comments

• peter_j
    edited January 1970
    My own view on this, which can only take into account my education in New Zealand, is that I barely knew what "social architecture" was. While I was busy protesting the invasion of Grenada and student fees, I never really considered that architecture might be a social and political act. We were offered courses in 'community architecture' in Auckland but they were a bit uncool, and I was trying hard to be slightly cool. I also had a problem that everything they did was design by consensus - I had a lot of trouble bringing those two words together.

There was such a chasm between the community/technology studios and the theory studios that I never considered going back (having chosen the latter). l wouldn't undo it now though - I took a lot away from the theory-based studios that helped inform the way I think and respond to things now...

So I may not be equipped, am very naive about a lot of things in this area, but I know that I want to use the skills I do have to assist in whatever way they may be of use. I think a lot of Australian- educated architects feel the same way. The world events of the last few years, both climatic and political, have spooked a lot of us out of our comfort zones.
  • beatriz
    edited April 2008
    <p><span style="font-size: x-small">I think you touched on a very important point, coolness. However, if social issues and theory were given more importance in our studies, some would be un-cool other times cool - what I mean is that there would be chances for many expressions in it. I saw the work of the students from the University of Lisbon in Timor Leste. They are the coolest students and their work in multidisciplinary teams. They use ArchiCAD and their designs range from school benches to the national palace - they publish their work in their website. <a href="http://gertil.fa.utl.pt/">http://gertil.fa.utl.pt/</a> </span></p>
    <p><span style="font-size: x-small">Their formation is different to ours in that their studies involve the notion of social responsibility (in many countries, this is included in their school charter). Social housing is also part of their agenda, as public works, neighbourhoods. Urbanism and architecture are part of the same discipline. I wonder whether more could be done to integrate more discussion into our curriculum. Planners, while they may not have design skills have great theoretical and social exposure through their course</span></p>