This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Jury presentation

peter_j
edited May 2005 in architecture
I went along to the Victorian RAIA Award jury presentations yesterday. It was a stimulating sort of day, spent hearing architects talking about their projects. Considering this would be the only time most of the 163 buildings portrayed would have their public outing, it was also quite a privilege to be there.

It was so good that I wondered why this wasn't a bigger event. Couldn't the RAIA make a bigger deal of the day, maybe even tell the public about it. If this led to bigger crowds, we could find a bigger place to stage it in. Noting the dominance of Powerpoint as a display tool, perhaps Microsoft could cover the extra cost...

Perhaps some would miss the candid in-house nature of the presentations, which wandered into criticisms of clients and councils, but this would be offset by an audience of interested punters and perhaps even a few prospective clients.

Extrapolating further, when this event grows out of its home (again) perhaps it could be sprinkled around the city. A friend thought it could even become an Event in its own right... perhaps wedged appropriately between the Fashion and Comedy Festivals.

Maybe this is getting a little silly... but the awards require so much effort, money and time from so many people that it seems a shame to limit the audience to the converted. Looking at the public display panels in a gallery just isn't as good as seeing the architects discuss their own work.

PS I mentioned the presentations to eight architecture students last week - none of them had heard about it, and one enquired how much money architects could win if they got an award. So much to learn...