This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Zaha Hadid: Designing Woman

Designing Woman
(CBS)
Dec. 4, 2005

Hadid’s interest in design started early. She credits her middle class upbringing in 1950's Baghdad, then a thriving city full of possibility, where her Muslim parents could send their daughter to a French Catholic school.

“That was really fantastic, and also the nuns were very tough about education. I mean the head mistress was very ambitious,” she recalls.
A lot has been made of her success as a woman. What are the challenges of being a female architect?

“I don't know. I have not been a man ever. So I have nothing to compare,” she laughs. “There is no stereotype, but because there is no stereotype they don't know how to handle you. So if you have an opinion they think you are difficult because god forbid that a woman should have an idea about anything.”

Some people call her a diva.

“They don't call a guy a diva. They'd be sued.” (....)
continue reading: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/04/sunday/main1095213.shtml