This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

What's New in London and the UK: Planning and Urban Design

What's New in London and the UK: Planning and Urban Design

I thought I'd share the latest developments in the planning and urban design spheres from London with you all. In my view, the UK is exceptionally progressive. Mayor Ken Livingston (London) persists in introducing agressive policies to really tackle issues on affordable housing, car dependency and inclusive communities.

Affordable housing in the UK is delivered through the public sector and through developers. The Mayorof London, through the London Plan (which is London's main planning policy document), seeks a 50% affordable housing target on new developments over a cerain threshold (approx 10 dwellings-www.london.gov.uk). The publication of draft Planning Policy Statement 3 -Housing (PPS3-http://www.odpm.gov.uk), is a national policy, which states that low-cost market housing no longer meets the definition of 'affordable housing', given it has not helped in delivering housing which is 'actually' affordable for average or key workers. One day I hope governments in Australia have enough vision to understand the importance of providing affordable housing within new developments, to facilitate the integration of communities and access to good quality building design for all, not only for those who can afford it.

Richard Rogers, author of Cities for a Small Country among others, is the new kid on the block for the Labor Government. An independent report by members of the Urban Task Force chaired by Lord Rogers of Riverside (yes, that's right), has finally been published, six years in the making after the Deputy PM invited RR to set up the Urban Task Force (http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Society/documents/2005/11/22/UTF_final_report.pdf).

It calls for more development on brownfield land, we designed integrated urban projects, more social housing, and better organised regeneration bodies. For anyone interested in regeneration, the UK is 'it', they've made a profession of it, separate to planning and urban design (although of course very much linked). Of course there's pro's and con's; some of the cons being displacement of local people, gentrification, lack of understanding of the housing market, and the inability to achieve the correct delivery of affordable housing. Skeptics of the way regeneration is delivered in the UK as opposed to say, Barcelona, would consider regeneration as a good way for developers to make a hell of a lot of money backed by the Government's compulsory purchasing powers. Nonetheless, regeneration projects are very much alive in the UK and can offer some very useful lessons.

On the renewable energy front PPS22 - Renewable Energy calls for the use of Combined Heat and Power (CHP). Tougher measures in London are being placed to outlaw use of electric heaters and air conditioners, and developements to meet targets on renewable (not just sustainable) energy on-site. I'm currently working on riverfront schemes in London where 3million pound penthouse apartments with a wind turbine on the roof are being sold with no air conditioning and no car parking. Great!

The Mayor's energy strategy
'Green light to clean power', the Mayor's energy strategy, sets out his proposals for meeting the essential energy needs of all those living and working in London.'

http://www.london.gov.uk - for some inspiration.

Comments

• Anonymous
    edited January 1970
    This is very inspiring indeed Javiera,

I was jus reading another article focusing on the experience and ideas of the London Plan and how/what could be applicable to New York: "New York Needs a “London Plan”, by Stephen A. Hammer, January 16, 2006".
    These are visionary and powerful strategies - I don't get the sense that anything of this scale is being implemented in Australia (?)
    A bolder approach would borrow another big idea from across the pond – the London Plan. More formally known as London’s Spatial Development Strategy, this land use planning document articulates a coherent, long-term vision that says where development should occur, and what it should look like. What is truly unique about the London Plan, however – and what makes it noteworthy for policymakers in New York – is the way it links to and is supported by other strategic plans covering topics like transport, noise, waste management, air quality, economic development and energy. To borrow a term from British policy debates, London’s strategies emphasize “joined up” thinking, with each individual strategy reflecting and supporting key themes found in other policy documents. .....
    http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/issueoftheweek/20060116/200/1717

Liz