This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

Architect starts with idea that space makes life possible

Architect starts with idea that space makes life possible. Are you ready to have all that you know challenged?
Kenneth Baker, Chronicle Art Critic
Thursday, February 2, 2006
First of a two-part series in which Art Critic Kenneth Baker sizes up the content and impact of architect Christopher Alexander's monumental four-volume series "The Nature of Order."

Reading the first book of Christopher Alexander's four-volume magnum opus "The Nature of Order" reduced me to silence. I went about my business for weeks afterward, unable to tell anyone how exciting and dismaying I found the ideas it contains.

The succeeding volumes as they appeared hammered home my conclusion that I would have to reckon professionally and publicly with this work and its author, whom I had met already once or twice.

This sort of philosophical crisis happens seldom, probably too seldom, to critics. It happened to me because Alexander, a practicing architect who taught at UC Berkeley for 35 years, explained more to me about the world I see, and the potential place of the arts in it, than anyone else has.

Most people who recognize Alexander's name know him as the principal author of "A Pattern Language," a thick lexicon of observations and proposals for making a more livable world at every level from the domestic to the civic and regional........

continue reading: SFGate, http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/02/02/DDG3MGVUL449.DTL&type=printable