This is an archive. The forum is not taking new registrations or allowing new discussion, despite what the buttons might suggest.

DEFAMATION

archiprix
edited February 2007 in Q and A
Last night I was reading the section on defamation in the RAIA practice notes. (no Idon't do this for fun, I'm studying for registration).

So I was just wondering where is the line between a critical review of architecture and defamation?
Is this why you never read a bad review of a building in our archi mags? esp. AA[/b]

Comments

• kashmir
    edited January 1970
    Interesting question... I can see how a bad review could damage an architect’s reputation/business. I also think AA is more about architectural photography than presenting unbiased critical "warts and all" style reviews... also architects are not widely known for their ability to take criticism, any negativity in AA would most certainly see raised hackles and litigious murmurings... not to mention good/bad architecture is in the eye of the beholder.

At the end of the day AA wants to shift units and negative reviews would hinder sales...

the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds" also comes to mind.

I’d like some other opinions on this… fire up people!
  • yobitch
    edited January 1970
    What is passed as criticism is generally too cosy in all architectural media in Australia for my liking but then it is a very small circuit and the writers probably only have a cursory knowledge of the defamation laws and at a payment rate of around 50 cents a word/maximum of 400 words, why would you invite trouble? Also isn't it still an RAIA rule that you cannot publicly criticise another member of the Institute (in private go for it - as we all do)? I would like to see a forum for genuine informed criticism as there are numerous examples of misdirected praise and reputations bloated by commercial success.Any ideas how this could occur?
  • GrimR
    edited January 1970
    There used to be a regular column in the UK A-R magazine where a building was highlighted as a "poor" example of architecture - what architecture's not supposed to be, etc. It was meant as a tongue (firmly) in-cheek poke at trashy buildings which do not contribute to the urban fabric. I do not recall names being mentioned (for obvious reasons). I must admit I did enjoy the light-hearted critique. Does anybody recall the name of the column? Perhaps it's something which could be incorporated into our AR as well? Surely we're big enough to take onboard a little good-natured humour? No names = no defamation?
  • archiprix
    edited January 1970
    I think it was "outrage" there was also a "delight" page.

Anyway I just think that if we had a bit more critical discussion about what is getting built then we could actually improve the quality of architecture in this country.